The secret to dark chocolate's health benefits?
AFP RELAXNEWS
Everyone's heard at least one time in their life that dark chocolate is good for you and now I know the reason why. This article talks about how microbes in our guts help make dark chocolate good for us and also for heart health.
"Researchers have discovered a specific stomach bacteria that breaks down chocolate and ferments it into anti-inflammatory compounds, making the dark stuff highly useful in terms of heart health." The article informs me that there has been a lot of research done on this subject. Researchers have found that there are two microbes (bifidobacterium and lactic acid bacteria). These are to two microbes that are essential to the process inside of the gut. These microbes grow and ferment the chocolate causing the production of compounds that are anti-inflammatory.
The author of this article made it a little hard to follow the article because they used a lot of quotes from scientists that contained terms that I am not familiar. This made if difficult to keep up with how exactly certain things in chocolate are digested. I was able to get the main points but I wish that I could have understood more. The author was not biased in the article.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dark-chocolate-good-thanks-gut-bacteria-article-1.1727196
No comments:
Post a Comment